- Gold nugget findings from the Star of Hope mine in Hill End, NSW, under the management of B.O. Holtermann (second from left). Circa 1870-75 -
Still to this day, gold is being found in Australia, and this is the gold we use. That is our guarantee. Gold, in the broader sense, is many things - a commodity, an investment, a currency, and a collectible. At N.C. AUSTIN, gold is treated as the premium metal of which your ring can be manufactured. It becomes a collectible, an heirloom of personal significance, and will always be an investment.
We offer most of our ring styles in gold, which will be quoted upon request. Gold comes at a much higher price than silver, and below are the types we offer:
9ct - Consists of 37.5% fine gold, while the remaining mass is made up of silver and copper. As 9ct has a lower fine gold percentage, it's colour is a pale yellow. 9ct is the lowest price option.
18ct - Consists of 75% fine gold, while the remaining mass is made up of silver and copper. The higher fine gold content makes the ring a beautiful bright yellow colour. Double the gold content, means approx double the price of 9ct.
Universally speaking, most large jewellery retailers plate their white gold jewellery in rhodium to give it a crisp bright white finish (almost like platinum). We don't do this. Plating a piece of jewellery will only result in the plated layer wearing off within a year, and then your ring will require re-plating and servicing each and every year of wear. Our white gold is good to go from day one and will not require this nonsensical process. Both our white gold options are alloyed with Palladium, a precious white metal. The addition of this metal gives the natural and raw metal a beautiful brighter and whiter appearance while retaining the slight colour inclusion of yellow gold.
9ct - Consists of 37.5% fine gold, while the remaining mass is made up of palladium and silver. This metal has a very slight tinge of yellow in it. When worn by itself, it will look like silver. If it's placed next to silver, you will notice a slight yellow coming through. A very beautiful colour.
18ct - Consists of 75% fine gold, while the remaining mass is made up of palladium and silver. This metal has a dense grey colour to it. Again, when worn by itself it will look more or less like silver. If placed next to silver, you will notice the beautiful yet subtle difference in colour.
- Yellow, Rose, and White Gold options in both 9ct (top row) and 18ct (bottom row) -
- The price of gold changes everyday.
- The retail price of a gold ring is determined mainly by the weight of the ring. A heavy weight solid ring will cost significantly more than a thin hollowed out ring.
- Some jewellers will hollow out the back of the ring (under the signet face), to bring the weight, and ultimately the price down. We will never do this. This creates an air pocket under the surface between the ring and your skin. In most cases, this cavity will hold water and air causing skin irritations. A hollowed out ring will also bend out of shape quite easily.
- All of our rings are solid, and thick walled where they need to be to ensure a lifetime of wear. We are only concerned with making the best possible product.
- We do not plate our jewellery (most costume and fashion jewellery will be). Our metals are solid. As a result, you can confidently wear your gold jewellery at all times.